Friday, July 10, 2009

Flashback Fridays

So, I had this great idea to blog each Friday with a “Flashback Fridays” post, but here's my confession—the idea is not unique to me and really isn’t my idea at all. I’ve noticed that several bloggers have done this, including my stepdaughter (Hi, Ammie!). Ammie is one of the most creative people I know which leads me to believe that this will be a great addition to my blog. Very much worth the possibility of being labeled a copycat! WARNING! Along with some great memories from days gone by, flashback posts may contain pics from the days of big, permed hair/super high bangs as well as some “I can’t believe I wore that” outfits that may cause you to seriously question my fashion sense or lack there of. Also, Wally’s killer mullet he sported during our dating years will most certainly make an appearance. Consider yourself warned!

I thought I would flashback to when Wally and I were dating. He and I met while working for the same company. We were just friends, buddies, pals before the official dating began. The turning point in our relationship came during a road trip to Arizona. Just a friendly, casual weekend away to visit a mutual friend. It’s a fairly obvious conclusion, but I will state it anyway – driving ten solid hours in a car with someone is usually a ‘make it’ or ‘break it’ scenario. That’s A LOT of time to fill with conversation and such. There are only so many topics people can hash out before eventually reaching the awkward silence phase of the trip. Fortunately, we never reached that point and there begins our story. I guess you could call us a “make it” couple who continues to travel well together. We both are the best version of ourselves while on vacation.

Some how, most of our dates revolved around some type of sports event—what a shocker, right? You can’t say I wasn’t warned from the very beginning! A little over a year after we began dating we were engaged, seven months after that we got married. Five years later, here we are.

Below are some pictures taken during the time which my Grandpa McKell would refer to as our ‘courting years’.



New Years Eve 2002




At my Sister's house (nice mullet, right?)




At my Mom's house



Cousin's Wedding


Magic Mountain Amusement Park




Engagement Party




Company Christmas Party



Redfish Lake


Only when you are dating can you get a guy to wear a fish on his head!
Wally's 42nd Birthday


2 comments:

Marilyn said...

What a cute idea, Melanie. I love the pictures.

I feel a little better than yesterday, and I hope tomorrow is even better. Thanks for your calls and concern.

Natalie said...

Great idea to flahsback like that. Those are such cute pictures of you and Wally in your courting days!!!