Monday, July 13, 2009

One Great GUY!

I was out of town over Father's Day weekend, so I wasn't able to post an official tribute to celebrate my dad on Father's Day. I couldn't pass up the chance to brag a bit about what a great "GUY" he is! Better late than never, right?

My dad is smart, generous, funny, strong, loyal, stubborn, honest, dedicated, hard-working, forgiving, and kind-hearted. He is someone I look to for advice, for support, and the occasional sanity check. He is fun to be around. I love his laugh, hearty and sincere. From a young age, I remember my dad being a teaser. He has a clever wit and sense of humor, often aimed at himself! When I was growing up, my dad worked a lot of long hours which made the time I got to spend with him special. Even after my parents divorced, he made a conscious effort to spend time with his two girls. He made sure we still had that important dress for the school dance. He took us on memorable vacations. He supported me while I attended college and well beyond. He provided comfort when my Grandma Frost (his mother) passed away. He walked me down the aisle at my wedding. He has done so much for me, never asking for anything in return.

Recently, we all were faced with a situation that changed the way I look at my father and the level at which I appreciate having him in my life. I will never forget what was the scariest few days of my life so far. I received the phone call I wasn't at all prepared to accept. My dad was in the emergency room and my sister and I were told to get there right away. It wasn't until we arrived at the hospital that we found out how very sick he really was. Even scarier, they couldn't figure out why he was so sick. For what seemed like an eternity, the doctors worked on him trying to diagnose what was causing these life threatening symptoms. Now, I'm not an overly religious person, but that night at the hospital I prayed, I begged, I flat out pleaded with all my heart for someone, anyone to intervene. I felt desperate. I needed some serious help down here! I was not ready to lose my dad. I couldn't comprehend the thought of not having him around. This was not supposed to be happening. I needed the doctors to use their knowledge and expertise (with a little helping hand from above) to figure this crisis out...and they did. Combined with what was the biggest feeling of relief I have ever experienced, a sense of hope, gratitude and calm came over me when I realized he was going to be OK.

I am forever grateful to those who had a hand in treating and taking such great care of him. I am also so grateful to my dad for hanging on and fighting so hard to stay here with us. He was an amazing patient!

My dad has been there during the good times, the not-so-good times, and the times that fall between. I LOVE MY DAD for the person that he is and for the person he has encouraged me to be.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD!!!


2 comments:

Marilyn said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad. He has a pretty special daughter (two, as a matter of fact) as well.

Natalie said...

Perfect!